GANDHARA TIRTH
 
girnar

This tirtha is situated on the sea-shore near the Gandhara village at a distance of 26 kms from Broach; in the jungle in the midst of beautiful and impressive natural surroundings. Here we have an idol of MULANAYAKA Shri Parshvanath Bhagavan; white in complexion; in Padmasana posture. There was a time when Gandhara was renowned as a port. There were many Jina temples and quite a good population of Shravakas.

 

According to the Inscription on the idol installed her, the idol was ceremoniously installed at the hands of Jagadguru Shri Hiravijayasuriji in the seventeenth century of the Vikrama era;He was present here for CHATURMASA along with his vat group of pupils. The Moghul emperor Akbar invited him to Fattehpur Sikri and he accepted the invitation on the advice of the Sangha in its consent, considering the possibility of spread of Dharma. In the beginning of the 18th century, pirates from Khambhat looted this place and burnt it. To-day, such ruins are visible round the place. In the ancient days there were two temples over here—One of MULANAYAKA Shri Mahavir Swami and the other of Shri Amijhara Shri Parshvanath Bhagavan. Records available show that the former was a wood and raised in V.S. 1500. When the temple grew old and was in ruins. Harakunvar Shethani got it repaired and renovated in V.S. 1810. Thereafter, when there were cracks in the walls and saltishness was visible, Shri Sangha got it repaired again. At a distance of 19 kms from here there is the village Dahej where many of the idols were taken from Gandhar. Prominent amongst there is the 30 cms high image of Shri Hiravijayasuriji.