KHAMBHATA TIRTH  
   
pansara

In this tirtha, situated in the Kharvada Mohalla of the city of Khambhat, we have an idol of MULANAYAKA Shri Stambhana Parshvanath Bhagavan; dark blue in complexion, 23 cms in height and in Padmasana posture. There was a time when the flag of sixty four ports was fluttering here. Contribution of liberal Shreshthis was vital in the prosperity of the port-city, the ancient name of which was Trambavatinagari. History of the impressive divine idol is written in letters of gold in the Scriptures.

 

So many miraculous events took place here from the time of the 20th to the 24th Tirthankara. Then, for years the idols remained invisible. In V.S. 1111, Navangi commentator Shri Abhayadevasurishvaraji had divine inspiration; when the ruling deities were propitiated and pleased the idols revealed themselves before him. According to an inscription found in the present temple, in V.S. 1165, the wife Bidada of Khela Sheth of the Modh family got constructed this majestic temple of Shri Stambhana Parshvanatha in V.S. 1165. In V.S. 1650, the Shri Sangha reconstructed the whole temple in all enthusiasm. Then the tirtha was renovated several times. Its last renovation took place in V.S. 1984 at the sacred hands of Acharya Shri Vijayanemisurishvaraji Maharaj. In Khambhata there are other 64 Jina temples. The Smrutimandir of Shri Hemachandracharya is also found here. It is said that the body of Shri Abhayadevasurishvaraji was freed from disease when he applied the bathing-water of the idol on his body. Kalikalasarvajna Hemchandracharya Maharaj was initiated into monkhood here and minister Udayana spread Jainism from here. This is also the birth-place of the poet Rishabhadasa.