MATARA TIRTH  
   
matara

The tirtha is situated in the heart of the village Matar on the main road. It has the idol of MULANAYAKA Shri Sumatinath Bhagavan; white in complexion, some 16 cms in height and in Padmasana posture. The history of the idol of Sacha Deva Shri Sumatinath Prabhu is miraculous and full of all interest. The idol revealed itself from the ground of Sihunga Village in the vicinity of Mahudha in Kheda district. There is evidence of writing which states that its ceremonious installation was performed on a Sunday on the seventh day of the bright half of the month of Vaishakh in V.S. 1523.

 

This miraculous idol was brought to Matar. A majestic temple was constructed here and a second religious installation took place on a Thursday on the third day of the bright half of the month of Jeth in V.S. 1854. The idol was placed in a Chariot and brought to Matar from Sihunj. Just at the time, there was very heavy rain on the confluence of the rivers Vatrak and Shedhi. But the charioteer saw only sands in place of rain-water, proceeded, and all the devotees who followed forded river without any obstacle whatsoever. All devotees proclaimed victory in all delight – "This is the True God !" and from that day the god became known as Sacha Deva Sumatinath on all sides. So many stories of later miracles follow. In V.S. 1977 the fifty two temples were again renovated and the religious ceremonies of installation and ANJANASHALAKA took place. In this Shri Jamnabhai Bhagubhai took leading part. The temple of the MULANAYAKA was re-installed ceremoniously on the fifth day of the bright half of Vaishakh in the year V.S. 2007 at the auspicious hands of Acharyashri Vijayasidhisurishvaraji. In front of this idol, in the underground Cellar there are five idols of Sumatinath Bhagavan. Idol of a goddess of the 12th-13th century is also found in the temple.